Saturday, December 7, 2013

the Ruhengeri State Fair

You can ask anyone, I love the State Fair. I really love, love the State Fair. I just enough to get through the day without getting full to leave space for the caloric cornucopia that is the State Fair. I put on my favorite boots, spend all day getting hyped and talking it up to everyone around me, and then make the drive to Raleigh to participate in all the mulleted festivities. I walk through the large buildings to stare flabbergasted at the excessively large produce and fawn over hundreds of tiny, baby animals (especially the baby pigs which are cute beyond all reality). I walk into the tent where they let you actually hold the baby chicks. I eat my weight in sweet roasted nuts, kettle popcorn, fried oreos, roasted corn, turkey legs (that ambiguously may or may not be actually pork...), and wash it all down with an exceedingly large fresh squeezed lemonade. There are few things that could keep me from going to the State Fair. Just ask my roommates from last year: I will not be kept away.

It was sad this year when all my remaining in NC friends posted statuses and pictures from the State Fair, but Rwanda came through for me in the form of the Ruhengeri Expo. The Expo, or, as I like to call it, the Ruhengeri State Fair, is a time when so many groups, from the biggest phone companies to individuals selling crafts, all set up booths in the stadium here. I could see and smell some food and there was even one of the swing rides where it spins and everyone has their own swing. It may not have been as grand as the one at the NC State Fair, but it was there. I watched a demonstration of a vegetable cutter from Pakistan that could even waffle cut potatoes (aka Where is Chick-fil-a because I am hungry?), I saw some dancers performing to advertise for MTN (a phone company), and I saw so many awesome handicrafts. I love a good craft fair.

So, it may not have been my beloved State Fair, but the Expo was certainly something.

No comments:

Post a Comment