Wednesday, December 11, 2013

that day when I was in a Rwandan music video

Yeah. That happened. But, in order for this story to make sense, we have to go back to the beginning because that's where all good stories start.

Hannah turned 16 while she was away at school this semester, so we got to celebrate her Sweet 16 today by boating out to this island restaurant place (it isn't really on an island, but the best way for us to get there was by boat). Before we could even get on the boat, there was a Rwandan choir filming a music video on the shores of the lake. You best believe we got to be a part of that. It was basically a dream come true for me. They pulled us all over to join their ranks, and I mostly just smiled goofily because I didn't know the words (they were in Kinyurwanda). There were some hand motions and a sway that I was able to copy thanks to the woman next to me. It's like she knew that I wouldn't be able to maintain the beat, and she was constantly nudging me helpfully to make sure that I was with everyone else. That's a good friend who keeps you on beat whenever you seem to stray. Thanks to Moses and Lydia translating for me, I learned that the song was about how great it is to be with Jesus and how we are all walking together with Him. Too true.

Yeah. I did those actions.

Wish I had thought to wear more blue...

Everyone please join me in praying that we somehow gain access to that music video, that we can somehow find it because I really really want a copy. I promise to post it if we can find it.

This is the view from the shore before we got in the boat.

Hannah forgot to keep her eyes open.

Our food took a decent amount of time to make it out to the table, but there was a small TV in the restaurant where they were playing Nelson Mandela's memorial service. It was insane to see how many heads of state were there. I'm pretty sure we are watching Obama speak at this precise moment. It was neat to be in Rwanda watching my President speaking in South Africa. Then the food arrived. Beef brochettes and whole Tilapia. It was so delicious!

   


Totally nailed it.

And, in case anyone is wondering, we got another turkey. This one is for Christmas. I didn't know he was coming until he got here, so I was unable to name him for myself. As such, he is either Turk 2 or Christmas, which are the two names agreed upon by the family. I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment