Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Durban, Pt. 1

I spent this past week in Durban, South Africa with some of the most wonderful people I know. In case you were wondering how I have friends in South Africa, let me explain: this ridiculously cool couple traveled for the first few years of their marriage, and one of their many stops was Ontario Pioneer Camp the summer that I was 16 and going through the LIT (Leaders in Training) program at camp. Tom was my small group leader and Jess was the leader of our sister group (which means that we went on canoe trip together). I tried to find a picture of that summer, but it takes an absurd amount of time to go back and stalk myself on facebook until the pictures of me when I was 16. Basically, I had braces and long hair. Tom and Jess both had longer hair, too. Needless to say, it was a good time.

We went on a steam train ride through the countryside, which was awesome. Dad had to remind me that I have indeed ridden a steam train before, but I don't remember it because I was three. I saw some of the sights, like the Moses Mabhida stadium, built for the World Cup and still in use today. We went up on the cable car to the top of its arch, and I went on the tour of the stadium to see the inside, the field, and learn more about its many uses and functions. Mabhida was a freedom fighter in the same vein as Mandela. He was exiled around the same time as Mandela was imprisoned and unfortunately died before he was able to return to South Africa.


 
Me and my chacos enjoying the view

There was a turf ring around the field of real grass.
(Totally reminded me of the turf fields at UNC.)

The stadium arch reflect the Y in the South African flag.

I swan in the Indian Ocean, which brings my tally of "oceans in which I have swum" to 3. Get in there Indian Ocean! Join your friends the Pacific and the Atlantic! I got a Red Cappuccino, which is a shot of rooibos tea (put through the machine just as if it were coffee) instead of a shot of espresso in the cappuccino. Delicious!

Obligatory picture of hot beverage
(this is for you, Carolyn)

I even saw whole troops of monkeys run across the backyard and hop through the trees. There were baby monkey holding so tightly to their moms' tummies as the moms jumped from tree to tree. They would entwine their little tails on their moms' tails. It reminded me of so many stories my mom told me of her pet monkeys growing up.


There is a baby monkey in the middle of this picture. See if you can find it.

More than anything I saw or did, I got to spend time with Jess and Tom, their two amazing boys, and various members of Jess's family. I got to see Tom preach at church and remember all those wonderful talks we had by the fire when he was my leader. I got to catch up with Jess and remember the advice and encouragement she gave me as we talked to pass the time on long portages. I got some much needed mom hugs from Jess's mom. I got lovingly teased about my Southern-ness by Jess's dad. I was called sweetie, sweetheart, and darling. (Seriously, I thought southerners were all about hugs and terms of endearment, but we've got nothing on these people.) My heart was renewed. My cup runneth over.

There are two things that I can't help but acknowledge to be true: 1. Ontario Pioneer Camp is the greatest and has provided for me in ways that I can't even begin to count and that I will be realizing for the rest of my life, and 2. I can trace God's goodness and love for me through my relationships. From camp counselors to IV staff to employers to family friends to the most amazing women, God has put people in my life exactly when I needed them and carried so many of those ties through years and vast distances. It's hard to believe that I could be this blessed, but life proves it to be true.

My cup runneth over.

No comments:

Post a Comment