Monday, February 10, 2014

that time we climbed a volcano

The good news is that this story ends with everyone making it to the top of the volcano, Bisoke. It started very early on a Saturday morning when we all piled into the cab and back of a pick-up truck and heading to volcano-climbing headquarters to get registered and met up with our guides. From HQ, we then drove to the base of the volcano and started the climb. I thought that I had hiked stuff before, but I was wrong. Maybe I wasn't wrong, but I certainly had never hiked at this altitude before.
From the first step I took, my heart was racing, and I was very aware that there was little air to be had. However, I was determined. I dodged massive mounds of poop belonging potentially to gorillas and mountain elephants but most likely to buffalo. I jumped sand bags and avoided mud pits. I talked to my fellow sojourners when I could (almost never). The higher we got, the slower I got. I've never experienced hypoxia, but, in a subsequent conversation with my father, I was able to determine that that was exactly what was happening. My movements got slower and less coordinated, my brain got slower, and, if I stood still for a while, I would realize that I was swaying slightly. 

Like I said though, we made it to the top.

This is my I-made-it-without-oxygen face.

Proud group shot. Then there is that random guy in the yellow polo in the back...

The view of the crater at the top. It was amazing.

On the way back down, it constantly felt like there was more air, which is the best feeling in the world! I was even able to run down parts of  the trail. Unfortunately, the lack of oxygen was still taking effect on my coordination abilities. I wiped out not once, not twice, not even three times. I wiped out seven times. I actually said out loud, "I don't understand what's happening. This isn't me!" I also remembered to actually look out and see what I could see from the top. God's creation is insanely wonderful.

Tiny people up ahead of me and a massive outlook.

Can you even believe this much green?

This picture is proof that Mary and I made it back down still looking fresh. 
That's how we do it.

So, this is where I find myself blown away by the creativity and detail wrought by the hands of a God who made me, too. I find it hard to reconcile the beauty of a place that has experienced so much pain, but I know that God is so much greater than any of that. I am blessed to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment