Friday, October 25, 2013

our turkey and dancing

The first thing that I must tell you about is the turkey that we recently procured. We bought it from a lady who lives right near the schoolhouse. The plan is to fatten it up for the next month which will end at Thanksgiving. When we bought it, Caleb told us not to name it because then we will get too attached, but I already had a name picked out before we went to get it.... Is that bad? I mean, who doesn't want a pet turkey named Little Richard? And given my love of chickens and other fowl, there was never any doubt that I would become too attached to this turkey.

 Maisy checking out Little Richard.

Its nose hanging thing is really disturbing but cool because it retracts.

He keeps getting angry, puffing up and hissing.
He even chases people around from time to time, but he hasn't actually pecked anyone.

This afternoon was a whole other adventure in and of itself. I piled into the car with a host of people who far outnumbered the capacity of the car, and we all headed to Shyira, the city where my cousins lived for eight years before Ruhengeri. We went to join in the celebration of a man who had just defended his thesis and graduated from university. You didn't know that a human being could fly without any external machinery, but get in the very back of a land cruiser and drive down the road and that is exactly what will happen to you. I was suspended in mid-air a great number of times before crashing back down to Earth. But man, those moments in the air were exactly like flying.

Me on Shyira Hill 
(photo credit to cousin Louise!)

As we arrived at the family's home, I was handed a massive plate of food and sat down to hear people go around the room and give speeches of gratitude to the family, celebration for Peter (the person graduating), and excitement for his future. At one point all the chairs and tables were cleared out of the middle of the room and everyone stood up. Someone next to me turned and asked, "Do you dance well?" A cold icy fear gripped my heart. Yet again, I would be made to display my entire lack of rhythm. I tried desperately to follow Louise as she deftly moved from the back of the room to the doorway, but someone else said, "Stay! Don't hide by the door!" So, I joined in the clapping as the first few joyous, brave souls began to dance.

As the voices join, the clapping and rhythm takes on a life of its own. Everyone claps his or her own beat, and yet they all weave together to create something else entirely. The feet join the sound as everyone starts to dance. I was pulled from the relative safety of my corner of the room and made to dance in the middle of the circle of guests with Peter. I made small, contained steps and concentrated very hard on making sure that I didn't step on anyone or fall over and that I kept up with the beat. It was pretty awesome! The dancing, the song, the joy of it all. 

Me absolutely tearing up the dance floor. 
I know you can't tell, but I am smiling really huge and laughing so hard!
(photo taken by Louise)

By the time I got home from Bible Study tonight, my family was watching A New Hope on VHS. Yes, I am living the dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment