Sunday, October 20, 2013

gratitude.

One of the things I've been able to already take part in since getting here is the children's Sunday School. My cousin Louise helps to lead the Sunday School with a man in the church. They are an unbelievable pair. Apollo blows my mind with how caring and patient he is in working with the kids. He translates everything, sings songs with them (I will always be able to hear a chorus of children singing and clapping to "Jehovah you are so good!"), and gently refocuses some of their more exuberant energies. The best part of this Sunday School is that we are using the Jesus Storybook Bible, which is exactly what we used at camp this summer and at CHAT last summer. Basically, the Jesus Storybook Bible is the jam and everyone should read it both to their children and for themselves. But that isn't the point. It's so wonderful to think about these children, literally around the world from the kids in Ontario or Richmond, who see these pictures and hear these stories and how they are bound up together in the knowledge and love of Christ.

My role in Sunday School thus far has been observation and crayon collection. My detail orientation kicks in as I attempt to fit every crayon back into the massive box in a neat and orderly fashion. I tend to stand on the side or in the back and try to redirect some of the wandering minds. I have yet to actually teach a lesson, but I hope that will be in my future as long as it doesn't interfere with the system they have already going.

Today, we read and acted out the story of David and Goliath.

I keep my eyes always on the Lord.
With Him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
Psalm 16:8

At the end of the lesson, I was performing my usual duties of crayon collection and a little boy tapped my hand. I leaned down close to him to listen: "Thank you for teaching us." I didn't think I had really done anything, and I definitely hadn't done the actual teaching that day, but this little guy saw that I was there, and it meant something to him. He said thank you. It was so simple, just a little sentence, but his words meant something. Not only was this a blessed moment that was sweet beyond words, but it reminded me to be grateful. I love working with kids because they tend to remember things we older people tend to forget.

Today, I am thankful. (I hope I will be tomorrow as well, but let's just take this one day at a time.) Today, I am thankful that God took the time to remind me that I matter through the words of a child. I am thankful that I get to be present for Sunday School every week. I am thankful that kids are so friggin awesome that only God could ever have imagined up something as great as kids.

1 comment: