Wednesday, July 17, 2013

water water water

In case anyone was wondering, the little bee and her bug friends were able to best the stink bug, and he went the way of most theme villains: we laked him. This week, theme is back to Shipwrecked. We made the excellent decision to start theme coming in from the water. Here's how it worked: During dinner, we played this radio static sound effect followed by the S.O.S. Morse code beeps and then had the captain of the ship make a mayday call. The kids always head down to the beach after dinner on Sundays for the waterfront safety talk, so we all hid along the shore and behind the boats tied to the docks. Once the talk was done, the program team slipped out of our hiding places and swam into shore to ask the kids where we had ended up and lament the fact that we were shipwrecked. The overarching concept we are going for with this one is community and the importance of everyone putting their God-given gifts together.

It has been unbelievably hot here for the past week. The program team has been running around manning water stations everywhere. These kids won't go down on our watch! We've been brainstorming how to incorporate water based games into every hour of the day and giving the kids popsicles. I couldn't even fall asleep last night because I was so hot. It's been challenging to make sure that everyone has enough water, but we are doing a pretty good job thus far, I think. The Blaze Village has a pretty epic sponge fight the other day. It really just devolved into kids throwing sponges at their leaders until somebody grabbed a hose and all bets were off.

Today  is my day off. I don't have any big plans. I went for a swim in a futile attempt to cool off. I did some laundry and then took a cold shower in a second futile attempt to cool down. This evening, if the bugs aren't too bad, I may put up my hammock and write some letters in the shade. That would be so lovely.

The stars have been amazing up here at night. I would never in my life break curfew (haha.... ha), but when I am out late, I always make sure that I look up at the sky. The stars are so vivid and incredible. God is so vast.

No comments:

Post a Comment