Tuesday, July 2, 2013

I feel old.

The other day, I was walking to the dining hall when one of the younger staff called my name.

"Rogue?"
"Yeah! What's up?"
"You were my leader when I was a camper at Adventure Camp."

What... After another conversation, I found out that she was one of the first campers I had when I did my placement through the LIT program in 2007 (LIT is camp's Leader in Training program and everyone spends two weeks at one of the sites learning from a senior leader). How insane is that?! I am one of those leaders who has been around long enough that my campers are now showing up as staff. That is nuts.

Today I was able to participate in the wide game that the oldest section of campers was playing after dinner. This was one of my all-time, favorite games, Capture the Human Flag. This game is very much like capture the flag, only the flags are leaders entirely painted in a color so as to be a human flag. Here is a picture of me being a human flag way back when I was a young leader way back in 2009, maybe:

I'm the one in red.

Even though that was a long time ago, you can now visualize what I am talking about. It is one of the best camp games ever invented. Capture the Flag is already awesome, but when the flags are actual leaders that the kids recognize and interact with on a daily basis, that really just kicks it up a notch. Today, I was a green flag, and, after an hour of running around in the woods being chased by kids and leaders alike, myself and the other flags headed down for a quick swim in the lake where we were able to wash off the paint. I was left with a slightly greenish complexion, but it should all wash off in a day or so!

No comments:

Post a Comment