Tuesday, July 9, 2013

and know

This week's theme is A Bug's Life. In case I haven't said it before, I am the Assistant Director of Program, which means that part of my job is to help organize and play a part in theme, which is like a week-long set of skits that the kids get really excited about. This week, I am Sally Wee Bee, the littlest bee who doesn't really fit in at the hive. I've left to go find somewhere I fit in better, but little do I know that Stinky Pete, a stink bug, has kidnapped the Queen Bee, and I am desperately needed back at the hive so that I can help get the Queen back. It has been really fun thus far and the kids are really enjoying this week's theme. The very first time that I was supposed to make an entrance and be introduced to the kids as my character, I was running excitedly into the dining hall and hit the puddle that exists under the big water coolers. I bailed so hard. I absolutely face-planted, but I wasn't hurt beyond my pride and a bruise on my knee. Most people didn't see me fall, but I was laughing so hard as I got back up and proceeded to the stage. I was a mess, but I got through my lines!

Some things here at Pioneer never change. One of my favorite of those things is the nurses. The same nurses have been coming to Adventure Camp for years, so, even though they switch out every week or two of the summer, you get to know the returning ones over the years. Two of my favorite nurses are here this week that I remember from my years on staff in the past. I spent a fair amount of time in their office today trying to restore moisture to my dried out feet. We shared stories and laughed and generally had a lovely visit. The two of them are currently hosting a spa for some of the staff, which they've done every year. They set out cookies and foot baths and wonderfully smelly things. It brings a smile to my face to think about it! Then I think about my grandmother who used to be a camp nurse here. I think of the ways she might have cared for or encouraged the campers but especially the staff while she was here. It may not have been a spa, but I think it must have been wonderful.

I got to feeling discouraged at some point. I wondered what I was really doing and if I were doing enough and feeling the separation from campers that can happen when one is a part of the senior staff instead of a chalet leader. It's so amazing to me the ways that God gently reassured me that he delighted in what I was doing. One of my favorite campers showed up on the first week of camp and has stayed for this second week as well. He is always game for a hug or high-five, we danced to one of the worship songs at Bible Adventure together, and he puts a smile on my face every time I see him. I sat down to breakfast on Monday all bleary-eyed and loopy and immediately made friends with the little girl across from me who was asking the silliest questions and laughing so hard. I got to go out in a paddle boat with a few boys at the waterfront where an entire paddle boat armada (4 boats) raced around trying to ram into each other. I got to cover a chalet during quiet hour while the leader had Bible Study, and I proved my merit by being the one who could make the best paper airplane and the fearless killer of flies. The Lord is quietly saying, "You are trying so hard, and I just want you to be."

One of the year-round staff is from North Carolina. He and his two sons recently road tripped to NC to visit the grandparents and returned a few days ago with a fresh stock of Tar Heel gear. His littlest one was wearing an awesome Tar Heels outfit today, and it warmed my soul every time I saw him!

No comments:

Post a Comment