Friday, June 14, 2013

The one in which I did not see a moose... shucks.

We woke up in PEI in our beautiful castle of a cottage (truly a king among cottages), packed the car, and headed down the road to the Cows Creamery. Cows is a delightful establishment that produces ice cream, cheese, butter, and hilarious cow saying parodies. Some of my favorites were Fifty Shades of Hay, Duck Cowmander, The Milking Dead, Cow of Duty, and so many others. I seriously considered purchasing a Cows onesie, and then thought better of it considering that I have no extra space in my luggage. We got a tour of the Cows facility and got to see the one room where they make all the ice cream for all of their locations. Apparently, the people in that room can produce 1,000 gallons of ice cream in one day. That's nuts!

Us in our Cows hats.

After consuming various samples and a full cone each, we headed for New Brunswick by way of the Confederation Bridge, so named because the confederation of Canada was signed in Charlottetown in PEI. Driving through PEI is so beautiful. So many of the farm fields must have been about to be planted or just planted because the deep red soil was still exposed. As we drove there would be long stretches of green spliced with vast strokes of burnt red. The contrast was amazing. Then we got to the bridge which one of our party (I won't name names) posited that it was the longest bridge in the world. This is not true, but whoever can figure out what the longest bridge in the world is will get mad points.

Us on the bridge.

We drove all the way to Fundy National Park, which borders the Bay of Fundy. The Bay of Fundy has the most dramatic tidal changes and also was one of the stops of my parent's honeymoon! You can tell that the tidal change is massive because of how far the boats are from the tops of the docks.


We went for a hike on one of the "coastal" trails, Coppermine Trail, before dinner. It started out pretty level except for the few times that we had to hop a small brook or cross a bridge over some faster water. Halfway through the loop, there was an overlook of the Bay. It was nice to stop and take a breather there.

Champions having conquered the first half of the trail.

The second half of the trail started with a bunch of steps and then continued to progress straight up the mountain. Straight. Up. The. Mountain. It was intense to say that least. This was intermittently punctuated by a small stream or brook that we had to leap over. I did my very best gazelle impression. We did finally complete the trail and headed back to our campsite for a well-deserved dinner.

I was determined to make it through the whole night in the tent, so I put on every layer of clothing that I had readily available access to and even wrapped one of mu pull-overs around my feet. I made it! I slept (sort of) in the tent the whole night and did not move to the car at all. Feeling triumphant in the morning, I got up and reached outside the tent for my shoes where I found that there were three slugs on my right shoe.

Not cool, nature. Not cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment