Saturday, June 22, 2013

transitions and names

The first few days at camp were a little rough to get into. In case you don't know, I've been coming up to camp here since I was 11. I was a camper from the time I was 11 through 15. Then, at 16, I went through the Leaders In Training (LIT) program and interned for two weeks at Adventure Camp. After that, I was on staff at Adventure Camp as a chalet leader and then Sports and Games activity leader. I have spent the last two summers of my life somewhere else, which is why it was a little difficult to transition back. There are a lot of young and new staff, whom I haven't met yet given the fact that I wasn't here for two summers. I am also in a new role, so I am slowly but surely learning what my responsibilities are. But, after a few days, it gets really hard to remember how I ever could have spent a summer not here.

Let me tell you about my role. I am the Assistant Program Director. Sounds really flashy, right? Basically, I have the great joy and privilege to work with the program team to come up with a plethora of fun activities and put on the week-long skits that follow a certain plot or storyline that the kids can really get into. The two themes for this year are A Bug's Life and Shipwrecked. I can't tell you too much more about them at this point as they haven't been super planned out yet, but I can tell you that as Wynd-It, the Program Director, and I brainstormed characters, the ship's captain turned out to be named Captain James T. Crunch.

Another thing that I should probably explain is that here all the staff have camp names. They are usually bestowed upon you after some memorable event or something about you. My camp name is Rogue, like from the X-Men, because I carried a canoe over my head by myself on the LIT canoe trip, so my fellow LITs said that I had super strength. If you ever see me write a name down, and it doesn't make any sense as an actual name, rest assured that it is a camp name and only makes sense in the context of Ontario Pioneer Camp.

The bugs are so bad. Probably the worst of any summer I've been up here. I am covered in bites. I am also losing my voice and incredibly congested. I would really appreciate your prayers for health and wellness so that I can start this summer being able to breathe and do all the things I need to do. I would also appreciate your prayers that the bugs would go away before the kids get here, or else it is just going to be miserable for their little bodies!

No comments:

Post a Comment