Wednesday, June 12, 2013

PEI loves potatoes

We took the ferry over to Prince Edward Island (PEI) and drove to our current accomodations. I want to think that I am super hard core and can rough any and every situation, but I found myself so incredibly grateful that Alison booked us this tiny cottage to stay in. It seems like PEI exists solely on the industries of agriculture and tourism. Every other plot is either a giant swath of red farmland (because the soil here is super red) or motels and cottage complexes. It was a dream come true to sleep in a bed and take a shower. Like I said, I love to think that I can rough it in any and every situation, but sometimes I just really value a bed.

This morning, we piled into the car and headed to the place where Lucy Maud Montgomery wrote Anne of Green Gables. We toured the place where her old home used to be before it deteriorated and fell down, walked through the woods where she often played after school, and the homestead that belonged to her cousins where she set the books.


You could tour the barn and learn more about the time she lived and how the homestead ran, and there was even a small carriage in which you could put on an Anne of Green Gables hat and take a picture. I couldn't resist!


From Green Gables, we drove out to the Prince Edward Island Potato Museum. That's right, PEI is one of the world's top potato producers. I learned all about the path of the potato from its origin in South America to the Spanish bringing them back to Europe to the Europeans bringing them to North America. I learned about the various diseases and pests that affect potatoes and the machinery that are used to plant and harvest them.


 A special fact that I retained was that potatoes have so much vitamin C in them that they were used as an early scury intervention. Two potatoes a day keeps the scurvy away!



We then came back to the cottage where we had taco night, and I am currently watching some Hockey Night in Canada. The Canadian inside me gets stronger everyday.
This cottage is magical.

No comments:

Post a Comment