Monday, January 13, 2014

the lazy river

When I was younger and we lived in New Orleans, we would sometimes go to the Grand Oasis Hotel in Biloxi. A quick Google search tells me that it doesn't exist as it once did due to Katrina. It's funny how things like that sneak up on me every once in a while. We would go to this hotel with another family or just us or maybe we spent one of my birthdays there, and we definitely saw Wayne Brady there one time (BEST EVER). The best part of the Grand Oasis, aside from Wayne Brady was that there was not only a pool but also a lazy river that snaked its way around the back of the hotel. There were inner tubes for floating on and no short supply of friends to play on them with. You just can't beat a lazy river. If you spent a few hours in there, you'd spend the rest of the day feeling like something was gently pulling you forward.

The good news is that thy have one of those here in Musanze. It's not attached to a hotel, but it does have this fancy dam at the one end and you can visit a hut filled with cows on the other end. Fun fact: Caleb actually built this lazy river! Well, I wouldn't really call it a lazy river per say because it actually generates energy as it flows. The water has a little dirt in it, but people pay loads of money for mud baths, so I just call it part of the spa experience.

In case you can't tell from my cleverly witty story ramblings, I floated down the canal at the hydrosite. It was pretty awesome. Aside from minor hand scrape-age from trying to stop myself, it really was just the same as going down a lazy river at a water park or a fancy hotel. Never planning well for these things, I went down in my jeans and t-shirt. I went down with Moses. Unfortunately, I traveled faster than him while floating (someone with physics and math on their side can tell me why that is), so I caught him once and scraped up his foot a bit, but he forgave me because we were having so much fun. We had to duck under the concrete bridges between the sides of the canals and navigate away from the ledge hidden in the water.

I think we should stock the dam with inner tubes and sell tickets for going down the canal. We can call it something catchy like Musanze Water Park! (Well, something catchier than that probably.) I see a great future in this...


No comments:

Post a Comment