Wednesday, September 18, 2013

I swam in Lake Kivu.

I started the morning in Canada, stopped in the States, hung out a bit in Ethiopia and then ended the day in Rwanda. Well, it was two days, but I didn't sleep so it felt like one really long day. I think that airplanes are secretly magic. It doesn't seem possible to be in four different countries in one day, but it somehow is. By way of three flights, I moved from the familiar to the unfamiliar. But man, nothing beats the feeling of stepping off a plane at your final destination and being out of your mind excited for what's about to happen.

Caleb, my first cousin once removed, and a man that he works with came and got from the airport and we drove back from Kigali to Ruhengeri where the family lives. Rwanda is mountainous, so the roads go up and down and wind their way around through various places. If you get car sick easily, I would recommend some serious Dramamine. I was fine as long as I looked out the window. I spent the afternoon in the house talking with family and learning small things that I have probably already forgotten considering I hadn't slept in two days. I walked all the way around the house on the wall with Lydia, my second cousin, and then we played badminton. It was a restful afternoon, which is good because I didn't have the capacity to do much of anything. I did drink a cup of the most delicious tea, which I am hoping will be a recurring thing.

Today, I slept until 11:30. Considering I went to bed around 9, I slept for well over 12 hours. Nailed it. I got up just in time for lunch. The kids were back from school and it was announced that we would all be driving to Gisnyi for the afternoon. Someone needed to go to the dentist and the rest of us were along for the ride. We drove all the way to Lake Kivu, and I got to swim in it! I went in with the kids and noticed that there were little trails of bubbles that would float up to the surface in alternating places. I assumed it had to be some sort of water creature and that I was stepping all over them. It turns out that Lake Kivu is rich in natural gas, methane I think. Also, from where we were, I could see Congo. Can you believe that? I could actually see Goma. Now, Goma is not where my mother grew up, the other side of the country in fact, but I could see the country, which is still pretty neat.

Here is a map so that you can orient yourself to my whereabouts:


Pretty neat, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment