Saturday, September 28, 2013

chasing sunlight


This is the my house, complete with the solar power water heater on the left side of the roof. We should get one of those for our house, don't you think Dad?

Yesterday, was the most beautiful day. I woke up, and, for the first time in nearly a week, there was sun peeking through my curtains. I got ready for the day really quickly and threw open the curtains so that I could revel in the beauty of sunshine. The rainy season had just started as I arrived, so it will really begin to pick up in the next few weeks. I don't know why, but "rainy season" didn't compute for me before I got here. I absolutely love the sun. I could lay down in it all day. If you have ever been around me for a week or two where it straight rained the whole time, then you know that in the absence of sunlight my demeanor and energy level rapidly decline. Perhaps I was a plant in a previous life....

It was sunny all morning yesterday. I laid on the steps of the schoolhouse waiting for class to start. I asked Moses pretty please with a cherry on top can we have class outside? (Usually it is the students who ask to have class outside on a nice day, but it was me this time, and actually every other time there were students asking to go outside on a nice day, that was also me.) I crossed my fingers that the sun would last into the afternoon since we don't have class in the afternoons on Friday. I planned to take my book outside and laze on the grass, but no dice. The trick seems to be that if you see sunlight, you should drop everything you are doing and go be in it because you can do other stuff later, but the sun may only be out for a short while. During lunch, the clouds moved in so fast. I blinked and they were there. In a matter of seconds, the sky had opened and it poured like crazy. There were huge streaks of lightning followed by deafening crashes of thunder. It was just like in the X-Men when somebody makes Storm angry. That's how fast this storm happened. So my afternoon plans changed from reading in the sun to taking a nap. I wasn't too heartbroken by this change of events.

There is a Bible Study on Friday nights that meets in the house of some other missionaries. This Bible Study is composed of four Americans my age (Three of us are from North Carolina. Rep it.), one older American man from the DC area, a German woman, and a handful of Rwandans. There are so many different perspectives represented from nationality to age to occupation. It's really neat when that many different people come together because each person has a different way of looking at Scripture and perhaps a novel way to understand or explain it. The guard for that house has a young daughter who is always present for the Bible Study. She is a diva. There is no better way to explain it. She is well aware that she is the cutest one in the room, and that she has everyone's attention. If you've ever sat with the DeHart women at church, then you know how much we love playing with babies and laughing at them while absolutely paying attention to every word of the service... (hehehe). So, while I do pay attention to the Bible Study, it is always fun to stick around afterwards for a while and play with this little girl who is so full of life and joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment