Friday, May 16, 2014

Unmet Unexpectations

I think I got this title from a conversation with Ellie Poole, but it perfectly captures the way that I think about this past school year spent in Musanze, Rwanda.

I did my absolute best not to have expectations coming into this year. That way, I figured, I wouldn't be disappointed, and I could be more flexible and open to what was going to happen. It turns out that I, instead, had anti-expectations. For example, I didn't think I would have any friends (aside from Lyd and Moses, of course) and assumed that I would spend a great deal of time by myself.

This is one of those beautiful moments where God smiles down at me and says, "Just wait. You have no idea what I have in store for you." And man, was He right.


I have been blessed by friends the likes of which I can only pray everyone would be able to experience in his or her lifetime. We spent this past weekend in Kigali motoing around to various places, eating Chinese and Indian food (because, you know, what else are you going to eat?), bowling and dancing like no one was watching (only lots of people were watching considering there were white people moving around). I have spent time in church, Bible Study and prayer with these people. I don't know how I will ever be able to part with them. I've been corresponding with a family friend from home, and he wrote this in his last letter: "You will be amazed at the richness of memory and reaquaintance, so buck up when you leave. You will be back in person or in word. I sometimes wonder is God gives us this blessing in recompense for the pain of separation in His name." Had I even tried before getting here, I would not have been able to conceive of friendships like these that will stay with me for forever. The Lord shakes his head and grins, "Just wait. It's not over yet."

Moses and I spent countless hours learning really cool stuff, like what happens when you focus the sun through a magnifying glass and how an inclined plane affects the kinetic energy of an object. How to tell the difference between nouns and verbs and why it's important to get creative when you write. We laughed and we argued and we curled up on the couch to read. And still God knows that's just part of it.

I have lived the past 8 months in someone else's home. I carried my weight as best I could, but I have been provided for and cared for in ways that I didn't even realize were happening. I've picked up endless factoids that will serve me in conversations for the rest of my life. I've honed by badminton and foxtail skills. I was brought into the lives and homes of three families and fed amazing food and loved so well.

The beauty of this place overwhelmed me on so many occasions. Even my walk to work every morning was hills and graceful landscapes backed by huge mountains covered in sheets of green. I got to stand on top of those mountains and look out over so many tiny towns and roads.

The Lord pats me on the back as we walk together, "See, child? You don't want to be the one calling the shots. You never could have come up with all that." All I can do is shake my head and laugh. He's right.

1 comment:

  1. God answers our prayers, even the ones we don't know how to pray. I knew He would bless you, B!

    ReplyDelete